Avery is a freelance writer and avid traveler who has been living a car-free lifestyle for over a decade. She is passionate about exploring new destinations and finding creative ways to get around without a car.
When it comes to walkable cities in the US, New York City often takes the spotlight. However, there are plenty of other cities across the country that offer a pedestrian-friendly experience. Here are some walkable cities in the US that you should consider exploring:
1. San Francisco, California: Known for its iconic hills and cable cars, San Francisco is a city that is made for walking. Explore neighborhoods like Chinatown, North Beach, and the Mission District on foot, and don't forget to take a stroll along the famous Golden Gate Bridge.
2. Seattle, Washington: With its vibrant downtown area and stunning waterfront, Seattle is a great city to explore on foot. Take a walk through Pike Place Market, visit the Space Needle, and enjoy the beautiful views of Elliott Bay.
3. Portland, Oregon: Portland is often hailed as one of the most walkable cities in the US. Its compact downtown area is easy to navigate, and the city is known for its extensive network of bike lanes and pedestrian-friendly streets. Don't miss out on exploring the trendy neighborhoods of Pearl District and Hawthorne.
4. Boston, Massachusetts: Boston is a city with a rich history and a walkable layout. Follow the Freedom Trail, a 2.5-mile long path that takes you through 16 historical sites, including the Paul Revere House and the Old North Church.
5. Chicago, Illinois: The Windy City is not only famous for its deep-dish pizza and stunning architecture but also for its walkability. Take a stroll along the Magnificent Mile, visit Millennium Park, and enjoy the views of Lake Michigan.
6. Washington, D.C.: As the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. offers a wealth of historical and cultural attractions that are easily accessible on foot. Walk along the National Mall, visit the Smithsonian museums, and take a tour of the iconic monuments and memorials.
7. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Known as the birthplace of America, Philadelphia is a city with a rich history and a walkable downtown area. Explore the cobblestone streets of Old City, visit the Liberty Bell, and indulge in a famous Philly cheesesteak.
8. Denver, Colorado: Denver is a city that combines urban living with easy access to nature. Take a walk along the 16th Street Mall, visit the Denver Art Museum, and explore the vibrant neighborhoods of LoDo and RiNo.
9. Charleston, South Carolina: With its charming cobblestone streets and historic architecture, Charleston is a city that begs to be explored on foot. Wander through the French Quarter, visit the historic plantations, and enjoy the southern hospitality.
10. San Diego, California: With its beautiful weather and stunning coastline, San Diego is a city that is perfect for walking. Take a stroll along the Embarcadero, visit Balboa Park, and explore the vibrant neighborhoods of Little Italy and Gaslamp Quarter.
These are just a few examples of walkable cities in the US. Each city has its own unique charm and attractions, making them perfect destinations for those looking to explore on foot. So lace up your walking shoes and start discovering the best of what these cities have to offer!