Jonathan Glover is an enthusiastic travel blogger and explorer who has embraced a life free of motorized vehicles for numerous years. He finds joy in unveiling new places and devising innovative modes of transportation, ranging from hitchhiking to aquatic adventures in a kayak.
Europe is a treasure trove of sustainable travel destinations that are perfect for those looking to explore without a car. From eco-friendly cities to breathtaking natural landscapes, there is something for everyone. Here are some of my top picks for sustainable travel destinations in Europe:
1. Copenhagen, Denmark: Known as one of the most bike-friendly cities in the world, Copenhagen is a cyclist's paradise. With an extensive network of bike lanes and a bike-sharing system, it's easy to explore the city on two wheels. Don't miss a visit to the famous Tivoli Gardens or a leisurely ride along the picturesque waterfront.
2. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Another city renowned for its bike-friendly infrastructure, Amsterdam is a must-visit for sustainable travelers. With its flat landscape and dedicated bike paths, it's a breeze to navigate the city on a bicycle. Explore the charming canals, visit world-class museums, and indulge in delicious Dutch cuisine.
3. Freiburg, Germany: Located in the heart of the Black Forest, Freiburg is a shining example of sustainable urban living. The city has invested heavily in public transportation, making it easy to get around without a car. Explore the historic old town, visit the iconic Freiburg Minster, and enjoy the vibrant local food scene.
4. Barcelona, Spain: Barcelona is not only famous for its stunning architecture and vibrant culture but also for its commitment to sustainable transportation. The city has an extensive network of bike lanes and a bike-sharing program, making it a great city to explore on two wheels. Don't miss a visit to the iconic Sagrada Familia or a stroll along the bustling La Rambla.
5. Lofoten Islands, Norway: For nature lovers, the Lofoten Islands in Norway are a dream come true. With their dramatic mountains, pristine beaches, and picturesque fishing villages, they offer endless opportunities for outdoor adventures. Explore the islands by hiking, kayaking, or taking a scenic boat tour.
6. San Sebastian, Spain: San Sebastian is not only known for its beautiful beaches and world-class cuisine but also for its commitment to sustainable tourism. The city has implemented various initiatives to reduce carbon emissions and promote eco-friendly practices. Enjoy a day at the beach, indulge in pintxos (Basque tapas), and explore the charming old town.
7. Stockholm, Sweden: Stockholm is a city that seamlessly blends nature and urban living. With its numerous parks, green spaces, and bike-friendly infrastructure, it's a great city to explore without a car. Visit the iconic Vasa Museum, take a boat tour of the archipelago, and enjoy the vibrant nightlife.
These are just a few examples of the many sustainable travel destinations in Europe. Whether you're interested in exploring eco-friendly cities or immersing yourself in nature, there is something for everyone. So pack your bags, leave the car behind, and embark on a car-free adventure in Europe!