Avery is a journalist and author who has written extensively about car-free living. She is passionate about sharing stories of people who have found creative ways to get around without a car.
Yes, it is absolutely possible to live in a US city without a car! In fact, many people are choosing to embrace a car-free lifestyle for a variety of reasons. Whether you're looking to save money, reduce your carbon footprint, or simply enjoy the convenience of not having to deal with traffic and parking, living without a car can be a liberating and rewarding experience.
But how do you get around without a car?
Public transportation is often the most popular and convenient option for getting around in US cities without a car. Most major cities have extensive bus and subway systems that can take you almost anywhere you need to go. These systems are usually affordable and offer discounted fares for regular commuters. Plus, many cities now have apps that allow you to track the arrival times of buses and trains in real-time, making it even easier to plan your trips.
If public transportation isn't your thing, don't worry! Many US cities are also very walkable and bike-friendly. In fact, some cities have even implemented bike-sharing programs, where you can rent a bike for a short period of time and return it to a different location. This is a great way to explore the city and get some exercise at the same time.
What US cities are best for living without a car?
While it's possible to live without a car in almost any US city, there are some cities that are particularly well-suited for car-free living. Here are a few examples:
- New York City: With its extensive subway system and walkable neighborhoods, New York City is a dream for car-free living. Plus, there are plenty of taxis and ride-sharing services available for those times when you need a lift.
- San Francisco: San Francisco is known for its iconic cable cars and historic streetcars, which make getting around the city a breeze. The city also has a comprehensive bus and subway system, as well as bike lanes and bike-sharing programs.
- Portland: Portland is consistently ranked as one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US, with a vast network of bike lanes and paths. The city also has an excellent public transportation system, including buses, light rail, and streetcars.
- Seattle: Seattle has a great public transportation system, with buses, light rail, and ferries that can take you all over the city and beyond. The city is also very walkable, with many neighborhoods offering a variety of amenities within walking distance.
- Chicago: Chicago has an extensive public transportation system, including buses and an iconic elevated train system known as the "L." The city is also very bike-friendly, with miles of bike lanes and a bike-sharing program.
These are just a few examples, but there are many other US cities that are great for living without a car. It's all about finding a city that fits your lifestyle and offers the amenities and transportation options that you need.
Living in a US city without a car is not only possible, but it can also be a rewarding and enjoyable experience. Whether you choose to rely on public transportation, walk, bike, or a combination of all three, you'll find that there are plenty of options available to help you get around. So why not give car-free living a try? You might just discover a whole new way to experience and enjoy your city!